There are two stories, one for each of the saints, which hint at a common origin. The postal address is Piazza Sant'Alessio 23. It is. The nave and transept are separately roofed, being each pitched and tiled. Su OrariMesse.net trovi tutte le informazioni sulle chiese e le liturgie della tua città! Above the entablature is a barrel-vaulted ceiling with four inset lunette windows on each side. The chapel at the near end of the right hand aisle is dedicated to St Alexis (a reminder that the main altar is dedicated to St Boniface), and contains what is traditionally claimed to be the wooden staircase under which he died. In the fifth bay of the left hand aisle is a painting of St Jerome Emiliani Praying to Our Lady, a copy of one by Pietro Gagliardi. This had to change in 1929, when the Somaschini lost their Roman headquarters after the Fascists confiscated and demolished their convent and church at San Nicola dei Cesarini. There is an English Wikipedia page here. The church has been titular since 1587, and at present the cardinal is Eusebio Oscar Scheid from Brazil. Santa Sabina is at exactly ninety degrees, west to east, and the two churches demonstrate that the traditional insistence of orienting churches to the east does not hold in Rome. See Santa Maria Mater Orphanorum a Casal Morena. The official title is Santi Bonifacio ed Alessio all'Aventino. This opens off the left hand side of the transept. Picture of the church at Wikimedia Commons are here. The work is Roman, of the 18th century. Lupo de Olmedo, of 1433, who was the founder of the reformed Hieronymites of the Observance. There are four tomb-stones behind the high altar. Above the arches is a plain entablature with a projecting tiled cornice, and the pillars between the arches as well as the outer corners are decorated with Doric semi-columns in a dark yellow limestone. To the west, on the church's left hand side, is the monastery occupying four sides of a cloister which has its arcaded walkways under the ranges. He was martyred in Tarsus (now in Turkey), she had his remains brought back and then converted her house into a church in the early 4th century as a shrine for them. The later 18th century was a disaster for the Hieronymites, and the last of their monasteries in Spain were suppressed in 1835 (although the Order has been re-founded there). In the centre of the choir in the apse is an inscription in honour of St Alexis that dates from before the 13th century. There is an English Wikipedia page here. The second storey has two arches on three faces, the fourth being blocked by the nave roof, but the subsequent three storeys have two pairs of arches on each face. They undertook some modifications at the end of the century (it is not clear what these were). If so, they should be somewhere in France; has anybody tried to trace them? fantastico The foundation of the church is not documented, and the legends attached to its origin are not reliable. Patron: St. Boniface, St. Alexio. Alexis was allegedly the son of a Roman senator, who as a teenager left home in humility to become a desitute beggar. The third bay has another painting showing St Jerome Emiliani with orphans and Our Lady; this one is by an expatriate Frenchman in Rome, Jean-Francois de Troy . per informazioni, certificati, iniziative parrocchiali, richieste di tipo amministrativo. In the latter part of the 19th century the Somaschini were running a school for blind children here, which was opened in 1864. Sant'Alessio all'Aventino is a heavily remodelled early 13th century monastic and titular church on the Aventine, having the dignity of a minor basilica. The decoration is by Michele Ottaviani, of that period, and the altarpiece of St Jerome Emiliani Presenting an Orphan to Our Lady is by Carlo Gavardini. Type: Minor Basilica, Cardinal Title, Rectory church. The most famous missionary monk to be based here was St Adalbert of Prague, who set out from this church on his mission to the Slavs. Just before the right hand steps up to the presbyterium is a 17th century Roman devotional painting of St Alexis. Flanking the entrance, on the wall, is a pair of candle-holders in the form of statues of deacons. The last pair is angled to include the double Composite pillars supporting the triumphal arch. It is flanked by a pair of little marble columns with incredibly intricate Cosmatesque decoration On one of the columns there is an inscription naming the artist as Giacomo di Lorenzo. Then come three pairs of massive pillars, decorated with two Composite pilasters each supporting an entablature that runs round the entire church. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. The roofline is balustraded, and has five finials in the form of flaming funerary urns with lions' masks. A dentillate cornice separates each storey, and tops off the final one. The postal address is Piazza Sant'Alessio 23. The duplication in subject matter is because this work originally belonged in the demolished church of San Nicola dei Cesarini, which also belonged to the Somaschi. A fine brick campanile of five storeys from the 13th century rebuilding was preserved in the Baroque re-ordering. It used to be the early 17th century mortuary chapel of the Guidi di Bagno family, and was renovated in the 18th century by Carlo Murena. Unfortunately, they lost the main part of the monastery when this was confiscated by the government in 1873. Other frescoes are full-length portraits of saints including nuns, and these are 17th century. ©2020 - Chiesa del Santissimo Nome di Gesù all'Argentina - Roma - Chiesa del Gesù, Via degli Astalli, 16 - 00186 Roma Tel. It has been taken over by the State, and is used as a centre for Roman studies. According to it, he was a native Roman slave who had a sexual relationship with his owner, a rich expatriate Greek lady called Aglaë who had a house on the site of the church. The Somaschi re-dedicated it to their founder, St Jerome Emiliani, in about 1850. The first direct evidence for the church's existence is from the Liber Pontificalis for Leo III (750-816) where it is described as a diaconia or centre for social and charitable works. Lunedi - chiuso. The fourth bay of the aisle has the chapel of St Jerome the Doctor of the Church, and the altarpiece shows him with St Marcella. The monastery emerges into history when it was given by Pope Benedict VII in 977 to a Greek archbishop called Sergius, who had been exiled from Damascus in a Muslim persecution. The 17th century narthex has a range of rooms above, and hence is a two-storey composition. La Parrocchia di Sant' Alessio si trova a Case Rosse è stata eretta il 21 marzo 1982 ed ora è sotto la guida di Don Giampiero Casolaro con il supporto Don Eugenio Nembrini. Picture of the church at Wikimedia Commons are here. It is a fair surmise that this entrance court occupies the site of a colonnaded atrium built with the original basilica. There are five open arches to the loggia, the central one being slightly larger and crowned with a triangular pediment. He died before they did, and they found a paper revealing his identity on the body. It is actually uncertain as to whether the pope completely rebuilt the church, or whether older fabric survived apart from the crypt -there is no discernible evidence of any now. In the right hand side of the portico there is a gypsum statue of Pope Benedict XIII, erected by Cardinal Querini in 1752 to celebrate the completion of the Baroque re-ordering. The nave has five pillars to the arcade on each side. The first hint at the existence of a monastic church dedicated to St Boniface lies in the biography of St Boniface of Crediton, the Apostle of the Germans. The main entrance door has Cosmatesque work from the mediaeval church. The apse contains the choir stalls of the Hieronymite monks. 06.697001 - Per inviare un e-mail The latter has a grating, through which can be seen the shrine of the two patron saints of the church. It is 16th century, but the altar itself is 18th century. The official title is Santi Bonifacio ed Alessio all'Aventino. The statue is by Andrea Bergondi, and was made in the late 18th century. Each pair is separated by a stone column with impost, and a string course runs around each storey at the level of the arch springers. Nostra Signora di Guadalupe a Monte Mario, Santa Maria Addolorata a Piazza Buenos Aires, Santa Maria Mater Orphanorum a Casal Morena, Cappella dell'Istituto dei Ciechi Sant'Alessio, https://romanchurches.fandom.com/wiki/Sant%27Alessio_all%27Aventino?oldid=21672. In 1426 the Premonstratensians made way in their turn for the "Hermits of St Jerome of the Observance", otherwise known as the Hieronymites of Lombardy who had been founded as a reform of their Order two years previously. Churches of Rome Wiki is a FANDOM Lifestyle Community. The nave frontage peeps over the façade, and shows a triangular pediment with a small oculus in its recessed tympanum. Si invitano i parrocchiani a contattare la segreteria inviando una email a: per informazioni, certificati, iniziative parrocchiali, richieste di tipo amministrativo. This is a genuine example of the genre, from Constantinople and either 12th or 13th century (opinions differ). He was a famous Roman sculptor of the period. So in 1846 the Somaschi Fathers were installed in the church, and as a result further alterations were carried out in 1860. The plot has been attached to the names of other early saints, and the story seems to derive ultimately from Edessa (now Urfa in Turkey). The plan was by Giovanni Battista Nolli, the execution by Tommaso de Marchis and the one who paid for it was Cardinal Angelo Maria Querini. The church stands back from the road, and is oriented south to north. It has an engaging gang of putti as well as her bust in a very Classicizing style. Telephone: 06-57.43.446. It shows him in pilgrim's clothes, clasping the letter which revealed his identity after death. The tabernacle is a Renaissance work, and above it is a bronze glory holding a Byzantine icon of Our Lady. There used to be nineteen of them, and they were originally in the basilica of San Bartolomeo all'Isola. The former monastery of the Somaschi can be accessed outside the church. The nave decoration is 19th century, by Michele Ottaviani. Relics said to be of St Thomas Becket of Canterbury are preserved in the mensa. He established a community of both Latin and Byzantine rite monks, and the monastery very quickly became famous as a missionary centre for some of the most important evangelizers at that time. The dedication is jointly to St Boniface of Tarsus and St Alexis. To celebrate the Holy Year of 1750, the Hieronymite brethren embarked on a huge project of restoration which turned the church into the Baroque edifice that it now is. The arcade arch springers are supported by Ionic pilasters with swagged Ionic capitals. They were replaced by Benedictines from Cluny Abbey, which also provided communities for other monasteries notably San Paolo fuori le Mura and Santa Maria in Aracoeli. Inverted plinths connect the capitals of these columns with the cornice, and this is a design feature of the façade. Location: 8FHJVFMH+FH. Meanwhile, the complex was reconstructed and St Alexis was added to the church's dedication by Pope Honorius III in 1217, after the saint's legend became very popular. Up these steps, to the right is the entrance to a small external chapel, of the Blessed Sacrament. The story of St Boniface was allegedly obtained from a Greek source in the 7th century. Si invitano i parrocchiani a contattare la segreteria inviando una email a: dongianpieroparroco@gmail.com Ottavio Pallavicini, of 1611, a cardinal of the church and its benefactor. This hints that the icon was originally on the right hand side of an iconostasis, and was not painted in isolation. These are thought to come from a lost memorial to Pope Honorius IV, and to be of the school of Arnolfo di Cambio. The complex is just west of the larger one of Santa Sabina, and is adjacent with a boundary wall separating the two properties. It is highly venerated, under the title of Our Lady of Intercession because she is not holding the Christ-Child but is in a position of supplication. The church was described at the time as a basilica with nave and aisles, and with eight arcade columns on each side. In Rome at least, the monks had became corrupt in their lifestyle by the 13th century. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. The school for blind children moved into palatial new premises in the Ardeatino quarter in 1940. Domenica e Festivi ore  08:30 - 10:00 - 11:30 - 18:00. In between the church and the street is an entrance court, with another wing of the monastery to the west and a further one to the south along the street, with the outer gateway passing underneath. He was originally a Saxon from England called Winfrith, but when he went to Rome as a missionary monk the pope ordained him bishop in 717 and, importantly, renamed him Boniface. Over the crossing is a small saucer dome. In the atrium courtyard, there is a porter's lodge where postcards of the church are sold. ORARIO SS.MESSE. N.B. Among the surviving frescoes is a 12th century fresco of the Agnus Dei with the symbols of the Evangelists, and behind the altar is a tiny apse frescoed with a Madonna and Child venerated by two saints (Peter and Paul?). They repented of their behaviour, and she suggested that he go off to the Middle East to help persecuted Christians. To visit the cloister, ring the bell at the first door past the main church entrance going west. It seems to have been retouched in the 17th century, but was carefully restored in 1952. The Chapel of the Crucifix in the fourth bay of the aisle has an anonymous altarpiece painted in Rome in the 18th century, and in the next bay is the memorial to Princess Eleonora Boncompagni Borghese 1704, by Giovan Battista Contini. See Cappella dell'Istituto dei Ciechi Sant'Alessio. In front of the nave is an entrance loggia with a flat-roofed parvise above, and this occupies the entire width of the church. He is listed in the revised Roman martyrology, which makes it clear that the story is traditional not historical. These support a cornice in the same style as the storey below. As such he returned later, to live unrecognized by his parents in a toolshed under a wooden exterior staircase at the family home on the Aventine near or under the present church. Scopri gli Orari delle Sante Messe a Roma. The entablature, lunettes and vault are in white, blue and gold; the vault has square coffers in blue with rosettes in gold, which have different designs. This was a major success, and became internationally pioneering in its efforts to raise blind children as worthwhile members of society instead of marginal dependents as was the tradition of centuries. Public Masses are not celebrated here to a timetable, but the church is popular for marriages. The second storey has five rectangular windows, and five Corinthian pilasters each of which is triply clustered. It is now thought that this story is a forgery, and that the saint never existed. The dedication is jointly to St Boniface of Tarsus and St Alexis. There is no other information than this, but in itself it seems conclusive. e attività per i bambini dalle 11:00 alle 12:00. Unusually for a saint with a Roman church dedicated to him, he has been deleted from the Roman martyrology. The church is a T-shaped basilica, with a nave and aisles and a transeptal presbyterium forming the crossbar of the T. There is an external segmental apse. The church is open, according to its website: Daily 8:30 to 12:30, and 15:30 to 18:30 (20:00 in summer). "Studio reportage" gallery (Includes photo of spike-heeled sandals on the Cosmatesque floor! The sanctuary is raised over the crypt, and hence is accessed by stairs. Below this is a gypsum statue of the dying saint above the altar. The staircase is in a large reliquary of glass and gilded wood, placed diagonally between four granite columns with derivative Corinthian capitals which look rather ancient Egyptian. When the choir was re-ordered in 1638 they were brought here, but the fathers in the church say that the seventeen missing columns were carried off by Napoleon. The high altar is covered by a richly decorated baldacchino with a hemispherical dome having eight ribs. As a result the headquarters was moved to here, where it remained until a new Generalate was built in the suburb of Casal Morena in the late 20th century. There are arcades on all four sides, with rooms above, and a well in the garth. over the near end of the right hand aisle, and has a tall blank lower storey. The east side of the court is the boundary wall with Santa Sabina. The cross finial on the apex does not look like much, but is apparently a 9th century survival. gruppo dell'oratorio che organizza giochi  The epigraph to one Crescentius is of 996, although he died twelve years earlier. Sant'Alessio all'Aventino is a heavily remodelled early 13th century monastic and titular church on the Aventine, having the dignity of a minor basilica. There is beautiful mediaeval Cosmatesque work in strip-panels on the nave floor, which was restored in the 18th century. This was in the context of the Cluniac Reform of monastic life in Western Europe, resulting in Rome having twenty Benedictine abbeys the abbots of which took part in papal ceremonies. As a result, they were dispossessed and replaced by Premonstratensian canons in 1231. Basilica Decree: Immemorial. per ascoltare, accogliere, accompagnare persone che si trovano a vivere un momento di difficoltà. However, scholarly consensus posits a date in the 4th century. The one to bishop Sergius of Damascus dates to 981, and the one to Leone dei Massimi is of 1012 and is the earliest historical evidence of this family (which used to like to pretend that it went back to the ancient Republic). The Catalogue of Turin, c. 1320, mentions only five monks in the monastery which was too few to maintain monastic life. It was built in 1674, re-modelled with the rest of the church in the 18th century and restored by Muñoz in 1935. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. The back wall of the east side of the cloister is the west side wall of the church. It's closed to the public most of the year but at Christmas a crib, one of the most popular in Rome, is set up here. e attività per i bambini dalle 11:00 alle 12:00. Address: Piazza Sant’Alessio 23, Roma, Roma, Lazio 00153. From right to left, they are: Pietro Savelli, a deacon, of 1288; the Savelli family had their palace east of Santa Sabina at the time. The monastery has ranges around the four sides of the slightly rectangular cloister, and a fifth on the west side of the atrium. Gian Vincenzo Gonzaga, the first cardinal of the church, of 1591. By this time, the Aventine was totally depopulated except for the inhabitants of the fortress-monasteries, and most of the land was taken up by vineyards and hay fields. Dal lunedì al sabato ore 08:30 - 18:00. It is claimed to have been inspired by that at Santi Apostoli. The following description is anti-clockwise, starting with the beginning of the right hand aisle: At the near end of the right hand aisle is the memorial to Cardinal Metello Bichi, who died in 1619, and in the third bay of the aisle is that to Antonio Mancini. (The original aisle entrances were blocked up to create chapels.) The altar mensa is on a column, claimed to have had St Sebastian tied to it while being tortured. ORARIO UFFICIO PARROCCHIALE . The lunettes have octagons surrounding a star, and the entablature frieze has blue squares showing alternate crosses and rosettes. However, in the early 10th century the breakdown of relations between Eastern and Western churches led to the Byzantine-rite monks leaving. LE DIECI PAROLE SONO SEMPRE LA DOMENICA; NON  PIU' ALLE 20:30; Si invitano i parrocchiani a contattare la segreteria inviando una email a: per informazioni, certificati, iniziative parrocchiali, richieste di tipo amministrativo. Ouch!). Rite: Roman (Latin) List: Churches with Canonically Crowned Images. It is not 10th century, as has been claimed. The church and monastery occupy the crest of the hill overlooking the Tiber, with a spectacular view over Trastevere in the direction of the Vatican. Martedi e giovedi ore 10.00 - 12.00. mercoledi e venerdi ore 17.00 - 19.00. However, the congregation was taking little interest in the church which was reported as being rarely open. The crypt is Romanesque, from the 11th century; it is the only crypt in that style in Rome. Si invitano i parrocchiani a contattare la segreteria inviando una email a: dongianpieroparroco@gmail.co m  It was moved here in 1936 from the demolished church of Santa Lucia alle Botteghe Oscure. The undecorated vault is supported on marble columns (spolia) with cushion capitals, and spring from marble pilasters. He was a famous Italian Impressionist painter, and his memorial was designed by Antonio Muñoz, the famous (or notorious) restorer of Roman churches, in 1935. La domenica dopo la messa delle 10 , c'è il nostro, gruppo dell'oratorio che organizza giochi. Country: Italy. Domenica e Festivi ore 08:30 - 10:00 - 11:30 - 18:00. The decoration of the apse and transept vaults is also 19th century, by Carlo Gavardini. The first pair is small, where two side chapels are; the left hand one is dedicated to St Alexis. La domenica dopo la messa delle 10 , c'è il nostro The arcades contain 28 ancient granite columns, and on the walls are some important epigraphs. Here, the crypt dates back to the 11th century abbey, with 12th century frescoes.